, , ,

Friday night was a busy night, but the game of “musical beds” was not the kind where little kids crawl into one bed and force one or more parents out. I have always let Little Guy (and Big Guy when he was little) crawl into bed with me when they were afraid, but they rarely get to stay there the rest of the night.

My Mom was here this weekend, a trip that almost didn’t happen. My grandfather has now been in the hospital for over 9 weeks and her time has been consumed with hospital visits, appointments with professionals, packing and renovating my grandparents’ home to sell, as well as being sick enough to require IV antibiotics. Every day has become “laugh or cry”, so I was really glad that she could come up for a change of scenery, if nothing else. My Dad also came up with his truck and trailer with deliveries, but kept going for a guy’s weekend with Big Guy!

Friday night was beautiful although it cooled down overnight. So Hubby and Little Guy camped out in the tent. For a long time, Little Guy thought camping was sleeping on the floor. Last year, I camped out with him for one night, but we pitched the tent on my parents’ raised deck. So Friday night, Little Guy stayed up until 9 p.m., and then he and Daddy headed to bed! It was still light out.

I put Mom in my room in case the guys were up early with the birds, while I crawled into Little Guy’s bed. I fell asleep pretty quickly, once I turned the night light off. It was around 1:20 that I woke up to a strange sound. I am not the kind of person who can just ignore strange sounds – I have to know what they are! Turns out, it was my Mom snoring…I was glad that she was getting a good night’s sleep, but now I was awake. Hubby’s bed was covered with books and clothes, and frankly, it wasn’t far enough away. What to do? I crashed on the couch.

Our couch is not the most comfortable for sleeping. The windows were all wide open, however, and the sound of cars and trains (and the drag race) provided “white noise” for sleeping. If only I had brought another blanket with me. The one in the living room was scratchy wool and not warm enough. Don’t tell him, but I pulled one of Little Guy’s tricks…I pulled the arm I wasn’t lying on inside my shirt and went to sleep. Of course, when I rolled over, I had switch arms. The newspaper arrived at 3:09 a.m. The birds started singing at 5:00 a.m. They quit around 5:30, when my cardinal began his solo. My alarm, which I thought I had turned off, went off at 7:10 a.m. It was then that I moved back to Little Guy’s room, and where he crawled in with me (with cold, wet feet from the dew on the grass) around 8! Hubby had been awake since 5 a.m. and apparently, Little Guy snores too!

Hubby asked Little Guy to let me go back to sleep, before he crawled into the bed in the basement where it is cool and dark. Little Guy tried to leave me alone, but every 20 minutes or so he would tiptoe in to snuggle with me, to read me a story, or to simply tell me he loved me and kiss me on the cheek. There are worse ways to start a Saturday morning.