What kid doesn’t love bugs or juicy red berries? Why not put them together? Little Guy saw this idea in a kids’ magazine and asked if we could make it too. I tried to find the magazine through Google but the search kept bringing up websites and photos of caterpillars eating strawberries. Yuck!
- Wash your strawberries, and cut off the “caps”, but don’t throw them out.
- For the heads, cut strawberries in half.
- For the body, thinly slice the strawberries while trying to maintain the shape.
- Lay the sliced berries in a row, tucking in the next strawberry for a continuous row.
- Put the head at the front of your caterpillar, and set a “cap” back on the top!
I served my caterpillars with a “cloud” (one dollop of whipped topping). Then I had an idea (but was too lazy to try it) – why not alternate the strawberries and whipped cream through the body so every bite has a “cloud”? I may try it that way on a large platter and make a strawberry snake. That would be wicked cool!
Little Guy inhaled his strawberry caterpillar and licked the plate clean – that’s what a parent likes to see!